Gloria Steinem was asked by Yahoo whether she thought Miley Cyrus’ recent risqué performance and video were setting the feminist movement back, and she replied, “I don’t think so.”
I wish we didn’t have to be nude to be noticed … But given the game as it exists, women make decisions. For instance, the Miss America contest is in all of its states … the single greatest source of scholarship money for women in the United States. If a contest based only on appearance was the single greatest source of scholarship money for men, we would be saying, “This is why China wins.” You know? It’s ridiculous. But that’s the way the culture is. I think that we need to change the culture, not blame the people that are playing the only game that exists.
Another, complementary game that exists for young men is the sports game, addressed in this week’s issue of The Atlantic, in the cover story How Sports are ruining High School.
5 thoughts on “Changing “the only game that exists””
Thanks for this post, Caterina. I’m a big Steinem fan. I’ve read all her books. Everyone should. She really knows how to parse things.
The Miley Cyrus uproar has me laughing. I’m totally rooting for her. I’m reminded (as some other people are) of Madonna’s early days.
But there are a few important points, I think:
1) Cyrus is an artist. I’m not comfortable with making her responsible for the downfall of the feminist movement. Art has its own place. What Cyrus is doing must be interpreted through the lens of art.
2) I long for the day when expressing sexuality and showing the female form do not equate to hussyism. If a male artist did exactly what Cyrus has done, no one would be asking if he was setting back men.
3) Pop music is frequently about sex and sexuality. Since, forever. Why should female artists not be allowed to be a part of that?
4) When we start talking about Cyrus setting back civilization, then we’ll know she’s being taken seriously.
5) Cyrus is pissing people off. She must be doing something right.
ケイトスペード 財布 二つ折り 驚きの価格が実現！http://www.thelid.net/category-106/
What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of
valuabble familiarity concerning unpredicted feelings.
I am regulawr visitor, howw are you everybody? This post
posted at this wweb site is in fact good.
I think this is one of the most vital information for me. And i am glad
reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The
site style is great, the articles is really excellent :
D. Good job, cheers
Comments are closed.